Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A Paddycure


I have been wanting to share this for a few weeks now, and am just now sitting down to take the time to do it.
The day before I went into the hospital to have Sophia, I took Georgia to the nail salon to have a pedicure. We have a positive reinforcement behavioral modification plan at our house. Georgia, who is 4, earns buttons for good behavior - different things are button-worthy. We started doing this because Chris was on deployment and I was struggling with getting everyday routines done in a timely manner with the two girls on my own. I wanted a way to reward Georgia for helping and being independent - eating meals with little or no complaint, getting dressed for school, helping with her little sister, being nice to her little sister, etc. I also need a way for their to be a reasonable consequence for bad behavior. So, we started the button system.
I took an old baby food jar, and cleaned it out and decorated it just for Georgia, with colorful stickers and her name on it. It sits on the bookshelf, next to a jar full of buttons. When she is good, she can go and pick out a button from my jar and put it in her jar. When she is not on her best behavior, she loses a button and must go and remove one from her jar and give it back to me. This is quite painful for her! When she has 5 buttons in her jar, she earns a priveledge of her choosing. The priveledges vary - sometimes they are as simple as a lollipop or some other candy item, sometimes a new, inexpensive toy, sometimes a special playdate with a friend. Just before Christmas, I had gone to a beauty salon and had a manicure and pedicure (probably the first time that I had done this since Georgia was born) and Georgia was fascinated with my pretty, hot pink toenails and I explained to her that I had gone to have a pedicure, and told her all about it. So, I was tickled, when almost a month later, she earned five buttons and informed me that for her priveledge, she would like a "paddycure".
I ended up taking her the day before Sophia was born. We both had pedicures side by side. The nail techs thought she was so cute, they gave her a manicure for free!
Here are the photographs. It was sooo cute!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is an awesome story! thank you for taking the time to blog it. makes me want to run and get a paddycure!

Jill said...

That's a cute story. We do something similar with our kids for reinforcement, they earn marbles and then can "buy" things from our prize basket with what they've earned or they can lose them if depending on their behavior. It works great.

Hey, I just saw your comment on my latest post. Email me stuart_jill@hotmail.com with your mailing address so I can put you on the master list and I can make you some good mail labels.

Perry said...

Hey, when I said that I saw Chris on Duval Street last week, what I didn't tell you was that we got paddycures together! My bad! -Perry