Friday, July 20, 2007

Thank God for the Kindness of Strangers



Well, I have been inspired by the Random Acts of Kindness posts I have read on several of my favorite blogs. Jenn, Lelly, Kristi (credited with the graphic above), Megan, Becca, and others.

I have been thinking of how I can "spread the love", but hadn't really left the house in several days, so hadn't had much opportunity.

Yesterday, however, I was the recipient of a random act of kindness, and it warmed my heart, and renewed my enthusiasm about spreading some kindness myself.

I ventured out with all of the girls to the fabric store. The babies were in the double stroller, while Georgia walked alongside. We walked out of the store and stood on the sidewalk and watched as the bottom dropped out of the sky and rain poured down. A lady and her teenager daughter came out of the store behind me and when she realized that we would all surely get drenched by the time I was able to get each of the babies out of the buckles of the stroller and into the buckles of their carseats, she offered to help us. I am pretty independent, and my automatic reaction when help is offered is to politely say, "no thank you". But, good sense prevailed, and I thanked her and took her up on her offer. Together, we were able to get the kids all in the car, without getting them or ourselves too wet. I thanked her profusely, and she humbly said I was welcome and she understood because she, too, had been in those kinds of situations with her children.

So, Thank God for the kindness of strangers!

No comments: