Sunday, January 6, 2008

A New Year...


Quote for the year: 'First, think. Second, beleive. Third, dream. And finally, Dare.'
Walter Elias Disney

I admired Kristi for choosing a word for the year and then applying it to her life in such a real way all year long. I have tried to think about what word I would choose for myself this year. So far, I have not come up with a good word. Any suggestions? I could sure use some!
Kristi's word for last year was Stretch. And she definately did stretch herself in many ways. If you have never read her blog, I highly recommend you reading it. I am really inspired by her.

So, maybe I will come up with a word for the year, maybe I will not. But, I like the quote that I found above.
1. think
2. believe
3. dream
4. dare

Many of you know that I am working with my friend, Liz, on a new business venture. Although, I am not crazy about the word venture - maybe Ad-venture would be better. It is an adventure. It is exciting and crazy and fun. I am really passionate about making Sweet Funky Vintage into a success. To me, success isn't just about money. Although, don't get me wrong - money would be nice... I want it to be fun, creative, and inspiring. We have incorporated into our business plan a social mission. We want to make sure that we are giving back to society. We have a couple of different programs that will enable us to donate clothing to a local shelter in Tallahassee, FL, and to a national charity, as well as a monetary donation program that will buy books for children through First Book. It is really cool. We may not be Brad or Angelina and be donating gazillions to rebuild a city - but we are doing our part to be global citizens.

On a level closer to home. I have made a pact that I will sew for my girls more often. Before I start working on "work" projects, I am going to complete projects for my home and my children. In looking back, I discovered that I was most happy this past year when I was creating for myself, my home, and my girls in addition to working. So, I am going to aim to remember to nurture myself too.

I really didn't start out writing this post to talk about my new year's resolutions, but I guess I have shared a little bit of those too. I have some of the stereotypical resolutions that many people have - lose weight, eat healthy, take better care of myself, start fewer projects - finish more, save money - that sort of thing.

It will be interesting to see where the coming year leads us, won't it? I wish you a happy, healthy 2008. Best of luck to you!

Oh - my blogiversary is coming up on Jan. 20th. I would like to do a couple of giveaways in conjunction with that. If you make anything that you would like to donate, or if you would just like to re-gift something that may not be fabulous for you but would for someone else, please let me know! It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive, just something fun. I am going to be offering a few giveaways myself. So, let's share a little cheer in January!

I am going to start sign-ups for a swap soon too. It will be a Valentine's Day swap. So, watch out for details on that!

1 comment:

deb said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy new year to you! Valentine swaps sounds so fun! :)