Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Self-Portrait Tuesday


Here is today's self-portrait challenge
for tuesday, march 13th:
lights, camera, action!

take a picture of yourself out and about in your neighborhood, your town, your city. do you live near a landmark or a setting that has ever been used by hollywood? would we recognize it? does it have historic significance to your community? has it become more popular since it was featured on the big screen? if no movie locations come to mind, how about showing us a significant landmark from your area? get out there and get creative!

There are a ton of movies that have been filmed in the town I live in! The Prince of Tides and The Great Santini, both based on books by local author, Pat Conroy. If you have never read any of Pat Conroy's books, I highly recommend them, start with Beach Music. Other movies filmed here: The Big Chill,, G.I. Jane , Forces of Nature , Full Metal Jacket , Something to Talk About , and several others.

I chose a road in my town that was used in the movie, Forrest Gump. You may remember the scene in the movie, when Forrest was a boy and he was being chased, and he ran down a canopy road so hard and so fast that his leg braces fell away and Jenny was yelling, "Run Forrest, Run!"
I had my husband help me take this picture. I was afraid you wouldn't be able to get enough of the road behind me if I took the picture myself!
Here is a picture of the road:

I was unable to find a picture online of the young Forrest running down the road, but I was able to find this one:

Here I am (making a fool of myself!) re-enacting the scene:



I thought of some parallels between Forrest running and my own life...
In the movie, Forrest starts ruuning one day, down the road, through town, and then across the country. He runs back and forth across the United States and then one day, he stops, saying, "I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now."
Like most busy Moms, I feel like I am forever running - running errands, running behind! I love being a Mom, and I love to sew and create, I love to volunteer, but I often feel that all of my running around leaves me feeling pretty tired. So, I think I should scale back and try doing more, by doing less. I am going to think long and hard about what things I commit to doing. Is it something I need to do? How does it benefit me and my family? I am going to strive for quality over quantity.
So, I think I'll go home now!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

missy, this is fantastic!! and you ran like forrest for us. true dedication!
i love that you reminded me of one of the great lessons from that movie.
all day, i'm going to be thinking: run, missy, run!!

Anne said...

This is AWESOME! I love that you reenacted the running scene. Are those live oak trees with spanish moss? I fell in love with those this weekend when I visited Savannah, where I also reenacted a scene from Forrest Gump, spending a good deal of time sitting on a bench in Chippewa Park, just like he did. Only I didn't have a box of chocolates sitting on my lap!

Amy said...

I LOVE your post. Run, Missy, Run. I love it. So true that we could run & run ourselves tired. Prioritizing is always difficult for me.

I am Laura said...

Cool. I love that show.

Doodle Bugs said...

soooo cute!! what a great post! :o) Kacey

Victoria said...

Too funny your reinactment, love it! What a beautiful place!

carlo said...

great, great pic. love it!

jenny said...

That photo is great. Run Forrest Run!

i want fabric said...

you never cease to amaze me, and the fact that I gave birth to you. Love, Mom

Missy said...

Thanks guys! I felt like a real goofball running down the road like Forrest Gump!

Thanks Mom - I think you are pretty nifty too! How lucky am I to be best friends with my Mom?!
Missy

everything pink! said...

missy pretty great!! my favorite of the day